Tips & Resources
The information provided below is a guide to help you prepare your entry for the 2017 Powercor Geelong Business Excellence Awards.
Business Summary (up to 250 words) *INCLUDED IN THE 2000 WORD COUNT
- Describe the operations and general background of your business along with an overview of your products and/or services
- Include a description of your vision for your business
- Assume judges do not know your business. Explain your vision for the business and your employees.
- What is your point of difference versus your competition
- Please note: The judging panel will not look at your website in marking your entry
Entry must not exceed 2000 words – Businesses that exceed the word limit will be ineligible to win an award
Core Criteria 1: Business Achievements*
NOTE: Tables/graphs are to be used to demonstrate your performance - Do NOT state actual results in $’s, use percentage (%) terms.
*This criterion will define important areas for your entire entry
What goals, innovations or milestones has your business achieved in the last 3 years?
- Innovation – examples of new growth, products or services
An innovation is the implementation of a new or significantly improved product (goods or service), or process, a new marketing method, or a new organisational method in business practices, workplace organisation or external relations
- Organisational restructures
- Changes to your costs and expenses
- Revenue generation
- Capital expenditure
- Financial achievements
- How do you measure against industry competition
- New Employees
Describe the sustainable & environmental practices used within your business
- Recycle, Reuse, Reduce - What do you?
- Water management plan
- Power and lighting initiatives – e.g. LED lighting project
- Internal & external plant selection
- Water conservation program
- Environmental meetings
- Environmental committee
- Tracking of energy consumption usage audits, electricity, water and gas with a future year target to show reduction by various initiatives
- What work is done with suppliers, contractors and partners to be environmentally conscious?
- Describe what your business has planned in order to achieve the sustainable business practices necessary for your business now and into the future
- What is your business doing to lessen the impact on the environment, carbon footprint or water saving techniques? e.g.: recycling, use of solar power, other
- Describe the processes, including training, necessary in your business to achieve the outcomes required
- Describe the benefits that have accrued to date from your operations as a sustainable business
- Describe any products or services your business provides to improve the sustainability performance of consumers and/or other businesses with respect to energy, water, materials and/or waste
Core Criteria 2: Marketing
What is your marketing strategy and how do you promote your business and its products to your target audiences/community?
- Target markets for your products and services
- Make sure you show that you have a coordinated approach informal/formal
- If you can show success – campaigns
- What media advertising do you do
- Plan, do, check, act
Describe the corporate social responsibility practices you engage in to support your community
- Who do your support?
- Which specific groups are you aligned with?
- Social inclusion within your workplace
- Corporate citizenship – support of local community, traineeships, apprenticeships, local suppliers purchases
Core Criteria 3: Customer Service
Describe your customer service policies and procedures
- What is your customer service philosophy?
- How do you/your staff do it, examples?
- How do you manage quantitative measurements?
- Show examples of improvement
- Guest surveys and feedback
- Cultivate service standards
- Effective management
- Staff recognition
- External & internal operational audits
- Handling of customer complaints
- Cultivate customer loyalty
- Provide examples
How do you analyse the effectiveness of your customer service policies and procedures?
- How do you seek feedback and if so what do you do with it?
- How do you measure performance?
- How do you deal with unhappy clients? Provide an example of a time you turned an unhappy client into a happy one.
- How do you acknowledge positive feedback?
Core Criteria 4: People and Culture
- Describe your Human Resources policies and procedures and how you promote a positive workplace culture
- If you operate a Home Based or Micro Business: What development or training do you undertake to improve your own skills
- Describe your culture – elaborate how that is embodied into your organisation
- Describe your management structure
- Recruitment processes / Strategy
- Staff training and development, individual development. Give details – amount of training in house, external, mandated, regulatory
- Monitoring performance and performance reviews
- Staff incentives, benefits and rewards, work functions, engagement with staff
- Health and wellbeing
- Duty of care to employees, customers and neighbours
- OH&S policies, procedures, committee, meetings, bullying, harassment and privacy
- Emergency & fire Policies, procedures & training
- Hazard signage
- WorkCover strategies
- Position descriptions & employment agreements
- Real life examples more beneficial (Can be extended on at site visit if required)
- Describe the policies you have in place to support a healthy workplace. What policies are in place to support a healthy culture and leadership? How are staff made aware of them?
Health Promoting Workplace
- Describe how you communicate and model your commitment to health and wellbeing for employees
- How is management involved with health and wellbeing? How do they communicate with staff?
- Explain how your workplace provides activities to support health and wellbeing in one or more of the following areas; physical activity, alcohol, smoking, healthy eating, skin cancer, injury prevention, sexual health, oral health?
- Are resources committed to health and wellbeing programs (e.g. staffing, programs, budgets)?
- Describe how you assess the benefits to your employees and workplace
- Has your workplace assessed the health and wellbeing needs of its workers?
- Has your workplace evaluated or measured any past or present health and wellbeing programs?
Core Criteria 5: Financial Management & Risk
- Describe your business planning policies and procedures in relation to budgeting, cash flow, stock control, profit, debt management and re-investment into your business
- Describe how you assess and minimize any potential risk to your business
- Firstly, we do NOT want to see any confidential data!
- What are your financial management procedures
- Do you meet with your accountant/financial controller regularly?
- How do you control you debtors/creditors? Do you know your lock up days?
- Budgeting process
- Cash flow management
- Stock control
- Debt management
- Capital expenditure
- Graphs in colour
- Growth of clients
- Revenue growth
- Costs reduction
- Employment retention
- Achievements – Include new equipment, new contracts. *Trends over a number of years impress judges
- Minimisation of Risks – may include:
- Personal property security legislation compliance
- Personal credit card information
- Market shifts
- Supply chain loss
- Staff skills shortages
- Insurances (property & personal)
- Leasing of premises
- OH&S management